I just became aware of the situation in Burma/Myanmar through this post and if this report is accurate the situation is very grim. I have been pretty moved by what I have read about the situation so I thought I would share what I have read and learned. Below there is a list of news articles relating to the current situation in Myanmar. But first I want to mention a few things that I think are interesting.
Bloggers and the internet have played an important role in this situation as acknowledged by the military of Myanmar in their crack-down on bloggers and shut-down of the nations ISPs. However, apparently some bloggers have managed to continue to communicate.
Interestingly, Jim Carrey created a video several weeks ago to raise awareness of the situation of Aung San Suu Kyi.
Facebook has been a forum for individuals to show support. One group in particular has been joined by more than a quarter of a million people. Its not much, but if you are a member of facebook I encourage you to join this group. It seems like a good place to express yourself and find information. Another post about this group.
Here is a list of other articles:
- Burma: Protesting monks are beaten by security forces
- Burma Troops Fire Warning Shots
- India’s Burma Silence Says Volumes
- U.N. Envoy Stalled in Burma Talks
- Myanmar’s Resources Provide Leverage
- In Myanmar, U.N. Envoy Meets Dissident
- Karma Power: What Makes a Monk Mad
- Military Junta Quells Protests Amid International Criticism